The usual port of entry to the PhD in Entrepreneurship and Management (iDEM) is by previously doing the specific academic research training of the Master’s Degree in Applied Research in Economics and Business (MAREB) program. This is an official full-time research master’s degree of one year in duration, taught completely in English. The MAREB offers high-quality training in academic and professional research, providing analytical and quantitative tools to address today’s economic challenges. More information can be found on the MAREB website.
After completing the MAREB with good academic results students can apply to move on to a PhD (doctoral dissertation) if they have the agreement of a faculty member of the program to be their supervisor. The duration of the PhD is approximately two or three years more.
|1st year||2nd year||3rd year||4th year|
|MAREB master's degree||iDEM PhD (1st year)||iDEM PhD (2nd year)||iDEM thesis defense|
Most students should do the MAREB first before applying for the PhD, even if they have another master’s degree. Only in exceptional cases can students be accepted directly if they have a research master’s degree with similar contents to the MAREB. If you think that this could be your case and you want the IDEM coordinator to pre-evaluate your situation, please send the following documents by e-mail to email@example.com:
• Motivation letter (also explaining briefly your research idea and indicating in which research line of the program you will be interested)
• Diplomas and transcripts of your previous degrees (Bachelor’s and Master’s)
• Master’s degree thesis
• Scholarship letter or application (if you have one)
All documents must be en English.
As soon as we receive them, the iDEM coordinator will evaluate them and give you an answer. If the iDEM Committee considers that you could be accepted on the PhD you will have to contact with some professors of the program so you can find the supervisor and do the application online.
- The contents and grades of the previous degrees (bachelor’s and master’s), preferably a bachelor's degree in Business Management and Administration (BBA) or in Economics or other similar fields, plus a research-oriented master's degree (normally the MAREB master's degree).
- A match-up between the research idea and a line of research within this PhD
- High level of English
- Recommendation letters
- Publications, scholarships, research profile, etc.