SELECTION OF ARTICLES ON MATHEMATICS EDUCATION AND LANGUAGE
Chronaki, A., & Planas, N. (2018). Language diversity in mathematics education research: a move from language as representation to politics of representation. ZDM. DOI: 10.1007/s11858-018-0942-4
Planas, N. (2018). . Language as resource: A key notion for understanding the complexity of mathematics learning. Educational Studies in Mathematics, DOI: 10.1007/s10649-018-9810-y
Planas, N., & Setati-Phakeng, M. (2014). On the process of gaining language as a resource in mathematics education. ZDM, 46(6), 883-893
- Planas, N. (2014). One speaker, two languages: learning opportunities in the mathematics classroom. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 87(1), 51-66
- Planas, N., & Civil, M. (2013). Language-as-resource and language-as-political: tensions in the bilingual mathematics classroom. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 25(3), 361-378
- Planas, N. (2011). Language identities in students' writings about group work in their mathematics classroom. Language and Education, 25(2), 129-146
- Planas, N., & Setati, M. (2009). Bilingual students using their languages in their learning of mathematics. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 21(3), 36-59
- Planas, N. (2007). The discursive construction of learning in a multiethnic school: perspectives from non-immigrant students. Intercultural Education, 18(1), 1-14
- Civil, M., & Planas, N. (2004). Participation in the mathematics classroom: does every student have a voice? For the Learning of Mathematics, 24(1), 7-13
- Planas, N., & Gorgorió, N. (2004). Are different students expected to learn norms differently in the mathematics classroom? Mathematics Education Research Journal, 16(1), 19-40
- Planas, N., & Civil, M. (2002). Understanding interruptions in the mathematics classroom: implications for equity. Mathematics Education Research Journal, 14(3), 169-189
- Gorgorió, N., & Planas, N. (2001). Teaching mathematics in multilingual classrooms. Educational Studies in Mathematics, 47(1), 7-33
SELECTION OF ARTICLES ON MATHEMATICS EDUCATION, TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Chronaki, A., Mountzouri, G., Zaharaki, M., & Planas, N. (2016). Number words in ‘her’ language, dialogism and identity-work. The case of little Mariah. Intercultural Education, 27(4), 352-262
- Niss, M., Bruder, R., Planas, N., Turner, R., & Villa-Ochoa, J. (2016). Survey Team on ‘Conceptualisation of the role of competencies, knowing and knowledge in mathematics education research. ZDM, 48(5), 611-632
- Godino, J. D., Font, V., Planas, N., & Acevedo, J. I. (2010). The object metaphor and synecdoche in the mathematics classroom discourse. For the Learning of Mathematics, 30(1), 15-19
- Edo, M., Planas, N., & Badillo, E. (2009). Mathematical learning in a context of play. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 17(3), 325-341
- Planas, N., Civil, M. (2009). Working with mathematics teachers and immigrant students. An empowerment perspective. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 12(6), 391-409,
- Civil, M., Planas, N., & Quintos, B. (2005). Immigrant parents’ perspectives on their children’s mathematics education. ZDM, 37(2), 81-89
- Gorgorió, N., & Planas, N. (2005). Cultural distance and in-construction identities within the multicultural mathematics classroom. ZDM, 37(2), 64-71
- Gorgorió, N., & Planas, N. (2005). Social representations as mediators of mathematics learning in multiethnic classrooms. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 20(1), 91-104
SELECTION OF CHAPTERS ON MATHEMATICS EDUCATION AND LANGUAGE
- Planas, N., Morgan, C., & Schütte, M. (2018). Mathematics and language: Lessons and directions from two decades of research. ERME Handbook. Routledge.
- Planas, N. (2018). Language diversity builds mathematics learning as much as mathematics learning builds language diversity. Inside the mathematics classroom. Springer.
- Planas, N. (2017). The adventure of moving mathematics education forward: a commentary. Research for educational change. Transforming researchers' insights into improvement in mathematics teaching and learning (195-207). Routledge.
- Planas, N. (2016). [Norwegian] Matematikkundervisning of flerspráklighet: elevenes sprák som ressurs. Matematikksamtaler. Undervisning of laering -analytiske perspektiv (23-37).Caspar Forlag.
- Planas, N., & Valero, P. (2016). Tracing the socio-cultural-political axis in understanding mathematics education. The Second Handbook of the Psychology of Mathematics Education. The journey continues (447-479). Sense.
- Essien, A., Chitera, N., & Planas, N. (2016). Language diversity in mathematics teacher education: Challenges across three countries. Mathematics education and language diversity. The 21st ICMI Study (103-119). Springer.
- Setati, M., & Planas, N. (2012). Mathematics education across two different language contexts: a political perspective. Opening the cage: critique and politics of mathematics education (167-186). Sense.
- Planas, N. (2012). Heteroglossia and “orchestration" in multilingual mathematics classrooms. Advances in Mathematics Education. Toward equity: gender, culture, and diversity (333-338). Springer.
- Civil, M., & Planas, N. (2012). Whose language is it? Reflections on mathematics education and language diversity from two contexts. Alternative forms of knowing (in) mathematics: celebrations of diversity of mathematical practices (71-89). Sense.
- Planas, N., & Civil, M. (2010). Discourse processes in critical mathematics education. Critical Mathematics Education: past, present and future. Festschrift for Ole Skovsmose (145-160). Sense.
- Civil, M., & Planas, N. (2009). Latino/a immigrant parents’ voices in mathematics education. Immigration, diversity and education (130-150). Routledge.