• Classical, modern and contemporary thought in East Asia (values, beliefs and ideologies). Construction of the discourse of modernity.
• The role of East Asian cultural products in the West and vice versa: adaptation, incorporation, re-creation and suppression. Production, circulation, consumption and dynamics of interchange of cultural icons.
• Cultural representations and the analysis of visual culture.
• Cultural diversity in East Asia and bi-directional cultural transfer between East Asia and the rest of the world.
• Comparative studies of cultural aspects of East Asia .
• Popular culture in East Asian countries.
PhD faculty (academic tutors and PhD supervisors)
Blai Guarné, Joaquín Beltrán, Jordi Mas, Carme Mangiron, Artur Lozano, Amelia Sáiz, Irene Masdeu Torruella.
Other doctors of the Department also can supervise PhD disertations in this field of research.